Erectile dysfunction(ED), or impotence is a condition wherein a man experiences in ability and maintain an erection for satisfying sexual experience. Commonly, it occurs in elderly individuals as erectile capacity decreases as man ages.
Causes of Erectile Dysfunction
- The blood vessels going to the penis become blocked or narrowed.
- An interference with the nervous system that triggers erection.
- A reduced in libido or sexual drive.
Diseases That May Cause Blood Vessel Blockage
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Nerve Damage
- Hormonal Imbalances
- Heart Diseases
- Unhealthy Lifestyle Choices (diets, smoking, over drinking alcohol)
Risks Of Developing Erectile Dysfunction
- Over consumption of alcohol
- Drug Abuse
Certain medications that have side effects such as;
Psychological Causes That Triggers ED
- Relationship Issues
Often, ED is caused by a combination of physical and psychological triggers. A person who suffers from erectile dysfunction may experience the following symptoms;
- Difficulty getting an erection.
- Inability to maintain an erection.
- Decreased libido or sexual drive.
Treatments and Preventions
Lifestyle modification is the least invasive type of treatment for ED. Here are some healthy lifestyle choices that can help relieve ED;
- Quit smoking
- Avoid excessive alcohol consumption. In other words, drink moderately.
- For overweight or obese individuals, it is vital to lose weight.
- Avoid drug abuse at all cost.
- Become active physically by performing regular workouts.
- Reduce stress and anxiety.
- Get enough rest every night.
- Get help from professional as early as possible.
ED caused by side effects of certain medications can be treated by replacing or cutting back the medication under the doctor’s supervision. Moreover, psychotherapy is use to treat ED triggered by stress and anxiety. It is vital to talk with your partner about ED complaints.
Medications like phosphodiesterate inhibitors and testosterone can also be utilized. These types of medications can be take orally, injected directly to the penis, or in some cases inserted into the tip of the penis. A medical professional expert in the field can provide more information about this disorder and possible treatments.
Additionally, hormone replacement therapy can be used to treat ED, and erection device such as penis pumps. Penis pumps are air vacuum devices that are used to aid the penis achieve an erection. Today, there are two types of pumps, air vacuum pumps and hydro penile pumps like the Bathmate pump and Penomet hydro pump.
Lastly, penile implants are very common ED solutions, as well. Just as with pumps, implants have several types. Generally, urologists are the one’s who will perform the operation and placing the implants. They will also suggest which type of implant suit with regards to age and preference of the person suffering ED.